Thursday, May 4, 2017

Blogs and More Blogs

Surveys have shown that staff recommendations are one of our borrowers' favorite ways to find new books.  Did you know that I (Adult Services Librarian Eileen Pearce) have been writing a blog about everything I've read for the past 9 years?

The blog is called Bibliophily (http://wlplreaders.blogspot.com/) and at the top of the page it has a cute picture of my goddaughter's cat, Deta James, peering over some colorful books.  I'm not suggesting that you'll be enthralled over everything I've read or what I've written about it and I don't claim to be anywhere near as incredible a critic as Zadie Smith or Sam Anderson, but I try to communicate a little wisdom and insight about everything I've read.  Sometimes I get behind by 2 or 3 (or 5) books and   I have to look them up on Amazon because, like many voracious readers, once I've started another book I often completely forget nearly all the details of a previous novel except for how much I liked it.  Ask me about John Knowles's A Separate Peace.  This is one of my favorite novels of all time.  I do remember that the main characters were boys, called Gene and Phineas, and that one knocks the other out of a tree,  That's about all I remember now except   that I loved it.  In my defense, though, I probably read it in the 1970s!

Anyway, if you're looking for something good to read and you like women's fiction, mysteries, chick lit, historical fiction, a little time travel and ghostly activity once in a while, a bit of romance, the occasional thriller, a great sense of place (especially England or Scotland), novels about people coping with diseases, or classics, check out Bibliophily.

My current favorite authors are Susannah Kearsley, Katie Fforde, Jenny Colgan, Lisa Genova, Karen White, Dorothea Benton Frank, MC Beaton, Laura Bradford, Patricia MacDonald, Wendy Webb, and quite a lot of others that would make this list way too long.

We also provide links to blogs written by some of your favorite authors on our web page at http://www.windsorlockslibrary.org/authorblogs.html.  We welcome suggestion for new author blog links!  What better way to find out about great books that by reading the thoughts and opinions of those who have read (or written) them?

That reminds me, we also have a book review club called BookBuggs that meets the first Tuesday of every month.  We love to share our ideas about books we love and hate.  Consider joining up for some great socializing and critiques!

No comments:

Post a Comment